Most of the time we think of healthy food and we and equate it to a drab, tasteless meal and especially, if it is a salad, we think of rabbit food. This salad is healthy and tasty, full of veggies and with a lime chilli vinaigrette. I was also making hummus and had some cooked chickpeas, so added that too to make a complete meal. It is also colorful and will make a beautiful addition to your holiday dinner table.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 green, red and yellow capsicums/peppers, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 small English cucumbers, cut into cubes
- 10 cherry tomatoes, cut into half
- 1/2 cup, chopped coriander/cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped celery (optional)
- 1/2 cup cooked chickpeas/garbanzo beans (optional – but will add protein to the salad)
- salt to taste
Lime Chilli Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp honey
- 1 green chilli finely chopped
- 1 tsp red chilli flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, cooked in a tsp of olive oil and chopped finely
- Rinse quinoa well. In a saucepan add the quinoa and double the amount of water and place on high heat, till it boils. Then lower to medium heat and let it simmer for 15 minutes till all the water has been absorbed. Cover for 5-10 minutes and then fluff with a fork. Let it cool.
- Meanwhile, add all ingredients for the dressing in a glass bottle, cover it and shake it well till well blended. Let it rest. The longer it rests, the better.
- In a large mixing bowl add all the vegetables and the cooled quinoa.
- Pour in the dressing and mix. (Pour half of it, mix, taste and then add more if required)
- Season with salt and let it sit for at least 10 minutes before serving.
You could substitute quinoa with couscous or broken wheat/bulgar too. This stays for a couple of days in the fridge, so save some for lunch the next day! I was inspired by the recipe in cookie and Kate and then adapted it to my own taste.
2 Comments Add yours
recipe looks awesome soulful & mouthwatering. I hope you will very soon visit & follow my new blog https://amazingshining.com/indian-amritsari-mango-pickle-recipe/
LikeLiked by 1 person
Great post 😁