My Sister-in-law Sudha’s recipe. I am reposting this as my sister in law sent me pictures and a video of her making it. She added 5 tbsp black mustard to 250 gms chillies. I changed my recipe to increase the mustard seeds.
I went overboard this year growing chilli peppers. I grew 3 varieties this year. Bird’s Eye chillies are one of them. They are grown in parts of South India. It is a beautiful plant with the chillies all pointing up. They are tiny chillies but quite spicy. This is my sister in law Sudha’s recipe. This is not a canning recipe and will be stored in the fridge. Eat as a side with curd/yoghurt rice or as a side with a sandwich/burger.
Warning- This is extremely spicy. Opened the bottle after 2 days and even the vinegar was spicy. It was good though! Let it sit for a month before you open it if you can wait till then. Enjoy!
- 1 cup bird’s eye chillies, rinsed, and stocks removed
- 2 tbsp mustard, powdered
- 3 tbsp gingelly oil
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 pinch turmeric powder
- Add vinegar and water and let it come to a boil. Lower heat and let it simmer for 5 minutes
- Sterilize bottle and keep readyHeat oil in a pan
- Add chillies and fry. Be careful as it may splutter. Take off heat
- Add mustard, turmeric and salt and mix
- Add chillies to the bottle
- Pour in the vinegar mixture
- Close bottle and store in fridge