Who would not want a slice of granola bar for a snack. It is a guilt free snack.
I have always loved to cook and bake and love to watch cooking shows. One of my favourite chef is Alton Brown. He explains the underlying process (and science ) in the recipe. The other favourite chef is Ina Garten. I have adapted this recipe from theirs. Alton brown’s recipe is a little too sweet for me. It is a foolproof recipe. You can add any nuts, sunflower seeds, any dried fruits you may have. This was the first time I added dates. This makes it chewy. I got a thumbs up from my son who does not like dry fruits in any desert! Let me know how it turns out.
Here is the recipe.
- 2 cups oats
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- 1 cup nuts (I used a mixture of peanuts, cashew nuts and almonds
- 2 tbsp flax seeds
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2/3rd cup honey
- 200 grams (1 1/2 cups) chopped daes
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- a handful of M&Ms or Cadbury gems or chocolate chips (optional – everything is good with chocolate)
1. Preheat the oven to 300° F / 150° C.
2. Roast the first four ingredients in a pan on low heat. Keep stirring to avoid burning. Once it cools, transfer it in a big mixing bowl.
3. Place the butter, brown sugar, honey, vanilla and salt in a small pan and bring to a boil on low heat.
4. Pour over the toasted mixture and add the dates, raisins and M&Ms. Mix well.
5. Pour in a prepared baking dish.
6. Wet your fingers with water and press the mixture evenly in the pan.
7. Bake for 30 -40 minutes till golden brown.
8. Cool and then cut into pieces and store in an airtight container.
2 Comments Add yours
I tried out your recipe and it turned out well. Mom-in-law has asked me to make more out of the oats that my father-in-law keeps on purchasing (but doesn’t consume!). Made a few changes with the ingredients though. I didn’t have brown sugar so I scraped jaggery into it. Instead of flax seeds I used sesame seeds. I’ll bring it to school today. You can give me your suggestions/comments on how well I did after tasting it. 😊
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks for trying it out Uma. It was very good!