Last week when I went grocery shopping and saw beets, pytt i panna flashed in my mind. This is a popular swedish dish, originally made with leftover potatoes and pickled beets on the side. Onions and meat/ sausages were also chopped up and added to it. For vegetarians, meat was excluded and at most restaurants had beets and carrots. An egg was usually fried and placed on top.
Here is my version of a vegetarian/ vegan pytt i panna. Of course you could add an egg if you want. This is a very rustic dish.
- 3 medium sized potatoes, diced in small pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 large or 3 small beetroot, diced
- 2 tbsp oil
- salt and pepper
- In a pan, heat oil. Add onions and fry till golden brown
- Add potatoes and stir fry till half cooked
- Season with salt
- Add beetroot and carrots
- Season with salt and stir fry till veggies are cooked
- Taste and add more salt if required
- Season with fresh cracked pepper
- Top with a fried egg (optional) and serve with gerkins (optional)