There are days when you do not want to cook dinner but have to put food on the table. I decided it was going to be bread and cheese and maybe a salad. I was baking bread. I make the no knead bread and it is so easy to make. Look up Jim Lahey’s no knead bread. I have not bought bread in almost 6 months. I usually mix the dough at night. Leave it to rise till the next day, knead, shape after work. Let it rise for 2 hours and bake for 45 mins. With this bread, all you need is some bread dipping oil;
I opened the fridge to find some beets and green beans. I was preheating the oven for the bread and thought of a warm beet salad. I wrapped the beets in aluminum foil and put them in the oven with the bread. Made a cup of tea and relaxed.
The salad took 15 minutes to make. (Other than the bake time). Roasting the beets intensifies the flavour and brings out the sweetness even more. It is vegan if you leave out the goat cheese and add a vegan cheese instead.
- 4 medium sized beets
- 1/2 pound beans, ends trimmed
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- 1-2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 red onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp chopped chives
- 7-9 walnut pieces
- 2 tbsp goat cheese (or vegan cheese)
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- Preheat oven to 400ºF (230ºC)
- Wrap beets in aluminium foil
- Place in oven and roast for 45 minutes (Alternatively steam beets)
- Remove, run under cold water and peel skin.
- Cut into small 1/2 inch pieces and keep aside
- Boil water in a sauce pan, add salt
- Blanch beans in the boiling water till al dente (4-6 minutes- depending on the beans)
- Plunge in ice cold water to stop cooking and retain the colour.
- Heat 1-2 tsp olive oil. Add sliced garlic and fry. Take the garlic and keep aside and add the oil to the dressing
- Whisk ingredients for dressing together till emulsified. I usually put them all in a glass bottle and shake thoroughly
- Place beets in a bowl, add chopped onions and chives.
- Add half the dressing and mix
- Add walnuts and goat cheese
- Place on a platter or bowl
- Toss the rest of the dressing with the beans, add garlic and place them around the beets.
- Serve and Enjoy!