This is a versatile condiment to have. Throw it in the freezer and use it whenever you want. Top chopped bits on ice creams or add it to an orange, chocolate or fruit cake. Dip these in melted dark chocolate and let it dry for a few minutes and you have a delectable treat.
This recipe is from Epicurious. I make it when oranges are in season, make this instead of throwing away the peels.
4 cups sugar
- Cut the oranges into four pieces. Peel oranges and remove the pith (white part) of the peel. Cut into 1/4th inch wide strips
- Boil water. Add the orange peels into the water and let it cook for 15 minutes. This removes the bitterness. Drain water, rinse and drain again.
- In a saucepan, add 3 cups of sugar to 3 cups of water and let it boil. Stir to dissolve the sugar.
- Add the peel and let it simmer for about 45 minutes till the peel is soft. Drain
- Toss the peel in the remaining one cup of sugar. Lift the peel and place it on an aluminum foil. Let it stay till the coating is dry. (1 -2 days).
- Freeze for up to 2 months