Happy Valentine’s Day!
There was a restaurant called Atlas World Grill in Iowa City (heard they have closed down). They had some very good food there. One of the favorites was their chocolate molten flourless cake. You had to order it when you order the main course as you had to wait for 40 minutes to get it. Though I had always wanted to make it, I was always scared that it will not be good. Finally, I mustered the courage to make it. It turned out really well. Do use good quality dark or bitter chocolate.
The recipe is from master chef Jean-Georges Vongerichten. This recipe below serves four. I halved it and made two. I baked only one as it is quite rich and shared it. I froze the other one and baked it the next day. (My frozen one rose higher than the first one but did not get a picture of that) Perfect for your spouse’s birthday, a special romantic meal, valentine’s day or to make any meal special! Or maybe make one just for you and enjoy it all by yourself! The best part is that it is really easy to make! Believe me!
- 4 oz (1/2 cup) butter
- 6 oz ( 1 cup/ 150 g) bittersweet (I used 72ºC dark chocolate) chocolate
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 450ºF (230ºC)
- Butter and flour 4 5-6 oz ramekins. Dust the extra flour out. Set aside.
- In a double boiler, over boiling water, melt the chocolate and butter. Whisk until smooth
- In another medium bowl, beat eggs, sugar, and salt at high speed till pale and thickened.
- Once chocolate is smooth, quickly fold in the egg mixture and flour and whisk. (Be careful at this stage, if you do not mix quickly you will end up with scrambled eggs as the chocolate is hot. A tip is to pour the eggs a little at a time and whisk quickly)
- Spoon the batter into the ramekins and bake for 12 minutes until the sides are firm and the center is soft. Cool for a minute.
- Cover a plate and invert it. Carefully unmould.
- Serve immediately just by itself or cream, some strawberries or vanilla ice cream.
- Tip: Make and keep the batter ahead. Bake it after dinner as it takes only 12 minutes to bake. Do not overbake it!
One Comment Add yours
Looks good 🙂