I love mushrooms and you will always find some in my grocery cart. I can eat them sauteed, in a curry, biryani or an omelette, pasta, pizza or in a bowl of soup. Earlier, I have posted a recipe for stuffed mushrooms and mushroom curry and added mushrooms in my stir fry, fajitas, etc. (search for mushrooms and you will find all the recipes). This will not be my last.
This recipe usually calls for butter but I have used olive oil. This is a healthier version but tastes as good, actually tastes mouth watering delicious. It is quick to make and uses basic ingredients which you would have in the pantry. I could eat a bowl of this by itself but you could serve it as a side. Depending on the spices you add, you can make it Indian, Chinese or Italian. Enjoy!
- 1 – 2 tbsp olive oil (can substitute 1 tbsp oil with butter)
- 400 grams (approx 1 pound) button mushrooms, cleaned and cut in half
- 1/2 cup shallots or 1 onion
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- Indian spices – 1 tsp red chilli flakes or powder, 1 tsp cumin powder, 1 tsp coriander (cilantro) leaves
- Chinese – 1 tsp soy sauce, 1 tsp chilli sauce, 1/2 tsp vinegar, 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- Italian – 1 tbsp white wine (optional), 1 tbsp Italian spice, 2 tbsp parmesan cheese (substitute with vegan cheese if required), 1 tsp chopped parsley or basil
- Heat a heavy bottom wide pan add some olive oil
- Add sliced onions or shallots and fry for a few minutes
- Add mushrooms and garlic and saute till the mushrooms are golden
- Keep stirring to avoid burning
- Season with salt and pepper
- At this point, you can decide if you want Indian or Italian or Chinese
- Indian – add the cumin powder and chilli flakes or powder and saute for a minute. Sprinkle with coriander and serve hot
- Chinese – Mix corn starch, vinegar, chilli and soy sauce. Add to the mushrooms and toss. Serve hot
- Italian – Deglaze the pan with some white wine. Add the spices and cheese and mix. Garnish with parsley or basil and serve hot.
One Comment Add yours
Reblogged this on Deli City and commented:
, vegan , vegetarian , easy and quick , easy to adapt , garlic mushrooms , mushroom