Summer is here and there is a lot of watermelons in the market. I miss the watermelon seller in India who had a cart outside my apartment. I would walk out with the biggest bowl i had and he would cut the watermelon into pieces for me. Also, if the watermelon was bad than he would pick another. I have no idea how to buy the perfect watermelon. It ty to do what I read on google. Sometimes it is a hit and sometimes a miss.
This time I bought 2 seedless watermelons; they are the smaller variety; one was rotten and one was good. I removed the rind and chopped the watermelon in pieces. By the way, I have seen recipes for watermelon rind, I have not tried any; maybe another day!
This is easy to make and very refreshing on a hot summer day. I sometimes freeze them in an ice cube tray. Take out what you need and use.
- 5 cups chopped watermelon
- juice of 1 lime
- 3 tbsp mint leaves plus more for garnish
- 2 tbsp sugar (optional)
- If making mocktails- club soda
- if making a cocktail- bacardi
You can do this two ways.
- Blend the watermelon with all the ingredients except for the soda and the bacardi. Freeze for two hours. Blend again in blender to make a slushie
- Freeze watermelon pieces. Then blend with sugar and mint
- Serve extras in an ice cube tray for later use.
Serve this three ways
- Pour the slush into a glass and serve with a lime and some mint
- Pour watermelon slush into a tall glass (1/2 the glass) or add a 7-8 frozen cubes of watermelon juice . Top with club soda and serve
- Pour the slush into a glass. Add 2 – 3 tablespoons of bacardi and serve with a lime and some mint