If you follow my blog you would know that we like eggplant in our house. I roast eggplant often and serve it in a sandwich. I saw a fried eggplant recipe and decided to try a similar recipe but instead of frying, I roasted it in the oven. Of course you can fry it too. It is a simple recipe. I served it with rice and dal. You can serve it as an appetiser or a side.
The coating used is very similar to coating used in fried fish in India.
- 1 large eggplant, sliced into 1/2 inch slices
- 4-5 tbsp oil
- Spice mixture- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2-1 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp amchur powder (mango powder) or 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- Coating mixture- 2 tbsp semolina (or cornmeal), 1/2 tsp chilli powder, 1/2 tsp cumin powder, salt to taste
- Slice eggplants, sprinkle salt and let it sit for 10-30 minutes. Wash, and drain. Pat eggplants dry with kitchen paper
- Add 1 tbsp oil on the eggplant and coat
- Sprinkle spice mixture and make sure it is evenly spread on both sides.
- Dip in coating mixture and spread the mixture evenly (This gives it a crispy texture)
- Heat 2 tbsp oil. Fry the eggplant for a couple of minutes on both sides.
- Heat oven to 450ºF (230ºC)
- Line a pan with parchment paper (to avoid extra cleanup)- optional
- Coat pan with oil
- Place eggplants on the pan and bake for 15 minutes. Flip it and bake for another 10 minutes
- Place under broiler for 2 minutes if you want it extra crispy.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve.