Kadle puri or pori is a snack which is healthy as it is made up of puffed rice, peanuts, roasted gram and some spices. It is an easy to carry snack which can be eaten anywhere and at anytime. Carry a bag of this to work and munch on this instead of chips. This has a crunch and is savoury so feels like you are eating chips. Make a big batch and store in an airtight container. Puffed rice can be found in most indian stores/ supermarkets.
This recipe is inspired by Nethra, my colleague, who got this to school during one of our long days and this sustained our energy for the rest of the day. This is her recipe. Some people add garlic to it. If you do, add 6-8 cloves of peeled garlic with the spices and make sure it is fried well.
- puffed rice 10 cups
- raw peanuts 2-3 cups (you could use roasted peanuts too)
- channa dal / roasted gram 2 cups
- dried coconut pieces – 1 cup (optional)
- red chillies 2
- mustard seeds 1 tsp
- ajwain/ carom seeds 1 tsp
- cumin seeds 1 tsp
- 10-15 curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- garam masala 1 tsp (optional)
- chat masala 1 tsp (optional)
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida
- 1-2 tsp chilli powder
- salt to taste (about a tablespoon)
- 4-5 tsp oil
- Heat oil in a big pan
- Fry peanuts and keep aside
- Add mustard seeds, asafoetida, cumin and carom seeds
- Once mustard seeds splutters, add curry leaves and all the spice powders including salt.
- Fry for 30 seconds on low flame. Take care not to burn the spices
- Add fried gram, peanuts and puffed rice and keep stirring for 3 minutes. Make sure the puffed rice is coated with the spices evenly. Keep tossing and stirring. Taste for seasoning and add more salt if required. Make sure the puffed rice is crisp
- Cool and store in an airtight container
- Serve them in newspaper cones for some fun snacking.
This is a really good snack to have with coffee, tea or a cold beer. You can also add some chopped onions, tomatoes or even grated carrots to a bowl of kadale pori and eat it as a hearty snack. It is quite hearty and very healthy. So if you have a craving for some salty, savoury, fried stuff, get a bowl of puffed rice instead. Enoy!