What would you do with pineapples, other than eat it fresh, juice it or make a pineapple upside down cake? Roasting the fruit, brings out its sweetness and pepper and chilli on it makes it wonderful. I added a couple of tablespoons of Bacardi rum at the end of the roasting. Try it, it is really worth it and so simple!
- 1 pineapple, peeled and cored
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp butter (vegan butter)
- 1-2 tbsp Bacardi Rum (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180ºC/ 35ºF
- Butter a baking pan
- Slice cored pineapple into 1/2 inch slices
- Mix sugar and chill flakes on a plate
- Coat the pineapple slices with the mixture and place on a baking pan
- Sprinkle cracked pepper on the slices.
- Top with butter
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, basting with butter every 10 minutes.
- If using rum, pour over the pineapple slices at the end of 20 minutes and bake for another 10 minutes
- Serve it just like that or as a dessert with some whipped cream or ice cream