Bangalore Chaat is special. I can see my Mumbai cousins and Delhi friends rolling their eyes. It is surely different but for those who grew up in Bangalore, it is what we love. Walking past a chaat food cart on the street smelling the distinct smells of the masala puri takes you back to your childhood. There are other chaat dishes which are quintessential Bangalore; tomato puri slices, nipattu masala chaat, congress masala and boti masala among many others.
The other day I saw a post in a FB friend’s post on tomato puris and it brought back memories. This is an easy an quick snack to make. I used store bought tamarind chutney and green chutney (mint coriander chutney). I had bhel mix, puffed rice, roasted peanuts and sev in the pantry. All these ingredients are available in an indian store. I used tomatoes from the garden. The tomatoes are the star of the dish.
Since I sprinkled ingredients, I am not giving exact meaurements.
- 1 – 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 chopped red onion
- 1 small carrot, grated
- green chutney
- tamarind chutney
- cilantro, chopped
- bhel or puffed rice
- roasted peanuts
- chilli powder
- chat powder
- Slice tomatoes and place on plate
- Spread 1/4 tsp of each chutney on the tomato slice
- Sprinkle some onions, carrots, cilantro on each slice
- Place about a tablespoon of bhel or puffed rice, sev and a few peanuts on each slice.
- Sprinkle some salt and chat masala and serve immediately.
- Eating this will be messy. Pick up the tomato slice like a pizza slice and bite into it. Keep napkins ready
One Comment Add yours
Woww!!! It’s just awesome 😍