Leftovers, what do we do with that. Cooking for 2 or 3 is something I cannot do. In our family, we are small eaters but I still cook for an army. I can eat the same dish for another day, maybe. But then, I have a yearning to make something completely different with all the ingredients.
In my fridge, I had finely chopped sautéed mushrooms (which I usually have – I throw them in soups, in omelettes or in pasta), Indian mashed potatoes and soaked lentils and pita bread. The inspiration here was falafels. I threw the veggies and lentils together, some chopped onions and made a burger, tucked it in pita bread and dinner is ready.
These burgers are delicious, healthy and protein rich. If you have some of these leftover, which is highly doubtful, make a curry and toss them in.
- 200 grams mushrooms, (button, oyster or a mix of different mushrooms) chopped
- 1 big potato, cooked and mashed
- 1/2 cup channa dal (split chickpeas) or any lentil of your choice
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1-inch piece ginger, finely chopped
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander/cilantro or parsley
- 1-2 tbsp oil
- Wash and soak lentils in water for at least an hour.
- Grind coarsely in a mixer or food processor and keep aside.
- In a frying pan, heat 2 tsp oil.
- Add one chopped onions, garlic and ginger and saute till golden brown.
- Add chopped mushrooms and saute until they are cooked.
- Take off heat and cool Transfer to a bowl, add mashed potatoes, chopped chillies, rest of onions, cilantro, cumin powder, and lentils and mix.
- Shape into patties, pack the mixture tightly so it will not break.
- Place on an oiled baking tray.
- Bake in a preheated oven (350ºF / 180ºC) for 15-20 minutes
- It can also be fried in a pan. Heat some oil in a pan and pan fry them.
- Turn them halfway through.
- Serve on a burger bun or toasted pita bread.
- Top with condiments of your choice (cheese, pickles, jalapenos, goat cheese, chutney, thinly sliced tomatoes or thinly sliced cucumbers)
- This can be eaten without the bread or served as an appetizer with some chutney or sour cream.
One Comment Add yours