I have been baking for more than twenty years. This is the first time I have made a cake without eggs, so I was very apprehensive about it. It turned out quite well, moist and tasty. The cake slightly cracked on top but I turned it around and nobody knew. I drizzled melted dark chocolate on it and it looked good. I had it for a party where there were a few people who do not eat eggs. They enjoyed it and packed the leftovers. I would make this again if I need a vegan cake.
This recipe was adapted from Chocolate by Christine McFadden. She used self rising whole wheat flour, a lot more baking powder than I was comfortable with and water, which I substituted with coffee.
- 2 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tbsp + 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla essence
- 9 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup coffee
- 1/2 cup water
- dark chocolate (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325ºF (165ºC)
- Grease a deep 8 inch pan and line with parchment paper and grease the paper with oil
- Sift flour, baking powder and cocoa powder a couple of times into a large mixing bowl. This incorporates air and makes the cake fluffy
- Add sugar and mix
- Slowly add oil and vanilla and beat
- Add water and coffee beating constantly till smooth
- Pour into the prepared pan
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean
- Cool and turn over on a plate
- Melt chocolate and drizzle on top. You can also sprinkle some powdered sugar on top
5 Comments Add yours
Thank you very much for this excellent recipe. Easy to make and tastes very moist, right amount of sweetness and soft. This is inspite of three power outages during the baking process. Keep it coming. Wish could post pictures. Can you post what I have sent you?
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you Vinodini. Could not post your pictures for some reason.
Wow Preethi looks so good , am sure it would hv turned out extremely delicious.
Thank you! Try it out and let me know.
Will give you feedback