Happy Vishu! Vishu is the beginning of the New Year in the state of Kerala. You can read more about Vishu here.
This is a creamy sweet dessert which can be eaten hot or cold. With pieces of fried crunchy coconut, this is heaven! Try it! You can make this vegan by leaving out ghee and adding non dairy butter instead.
- 1 cup chakka varatti (jackfruit jam)
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp ghee
- 1/4 tsp ginger powder
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tbsp chopped dried coconut or 1 tbsp cashew nuts
- Take one cup of jam in a heavy bottomed pan
- Add 1 cup of coconut milk and 1 cup of water and cook on a low flame
- Make sure the jam is mixed well into the coconut milk. Cook for about 10 minutes. Add the ginger and cardamom powders
- Add another cup of coconut milk and cook for another few minutes
- In a small pan, heat ghee. Add chopped coconut or cashews and fry till golden brown
- Add to payasam
- Serve hot or cold