Here is another repost from 2 years ago. Enjoy!
A couple of weeks ago, I asked my chitti (aunt) to give me some of her favorite recipes. I was expecting a traditional recipe but she sent me a carrot chutney recipe instead – very different. When I made it, it was really good and easy to make – just the right amount of spice, sweet and sourness. I served it with dosa, but this chutney will surely go well with rotis, idlis or even as a sandwich spread.
I love the way she sent me the recipe.
- 2 grated carrots (3/4 cup)
- 2 chopped tomatoes
- 10 -12 shallots
- 1/2 cup chopped coconut
- 2-3 green chillies (depending on the spice level you want)
- 1- 2 tsp coriander leaves/ cilantro – optional
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida
- 4-5 curry leaves
- 1 tsp oil
- Heat oil in a pan. Add shallots and fry. Add the rest of the ingredients and fry well till tomatoes are well cooked.
- Grind the above ingredients.
- In the same pan add oil for tempering and add the tempering ingredients. When the mustard splutters, add to the chutney and serve.
Try it, it is really good!