During mango season, you will find mangoes on the table from breakfast to dinner as fresh cut to curries, pickles and dessert. You will find hundreds of varieties of mangoes and certain mangoes used for certain dishes. This is a traditional recipe from Kerala. For this you will need mangoes which are not too sweet and a little sour. Since the mangoes here are not as sweet, they work well for different curries or to make salsa. This is an easy dish to make and is traditionally eaten with steamed rice but can be eaten with bread, roti, naan or idli and dosas too.
- 2 ripe mangoes
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 cups water
- salt to taste
- 3/4 -1 cup yogurt/curd (room temperature)
- 1/2 tsp jaggery (brown sugar)- optional
- To grind:
- 1/2- 3/4 cup grated coconut
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera) ( or 1/2 tsp cumin powder)
- 2-4 green chilly peppers (serrano)
- To season:
- 1/2 tbsp. coconut (or vegetable) oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 2-3 dried red chilies
- Peel and cube mangoes, discard the seed
- In a sauce pan, add 2 cups of water, mangoes and turmeric powder and cook till mangoes are tender but not mushy on medium heat.
- Grind together green chilies, cumin and coconut and a couple of tablespoons of water to a fine consistency. Keep aside
- Whisk yogurt or blend in a mixer to a smooth consistency
- Once mangoes are cooked add salt, coconut- chili paste, mix and cook for a few minutes.
- Taste, the curry has to have a good balance of sour and sweet; add 1/2 tsp brown sugar/jaggery if required (if the dish is too sour and not sweet)
- Reduce to low heat, add whisked yogurt and cook for a minute or two. Place aside
- In a small pan, heat oil.
- Add coconut oil. when hot, add mustard seeds and let it pop/crackle. Add red chilies and curry leaves. Remove from heat and pour on to the curry
- Mix well and serve hot with steamed rice
3 Comments Add yours
Wow great recipe. I have heard about this recipe but never had the chance to try. Will try this soon Preethi
Thank you Soumya. Easy to make. Do let me know how it turns out.
LikeLiked by 1 person